Dresden watchmaker Ferdinand Adolph Lange laid the foundations for Saxony’s precision watchmaking industry when he established his manufactory in 1845. The company was expropriated after World War II and the A. Lange & Söhne brand disappeared. But in 1990, Walter Lange, Ferdinand Adolph Lange’s great-grandson, ventured to start over again. For the second time, a watch manufactory, named A. Lange & Söhne, was built from nothing in Glashütte. Today, the manufactory produces just a few thousand wristwatches each year – all with movements elaborately decorated and assembled by hand. They are produced in the same spirit and to the same standard as the timepieces that Ferdinand Adolph Lange created in his day.